So, how do you protect yourself from threats? There are several measures you can take. Here are some tips that I gathered from Microsoft, Google and my own experience.
- Make sure you have a trusted antivirus and anti-spyware program installed. Watch out for links or pop-ups that pretend to give you a warning and ask you to download a program to remove viruses.
- The most common way that a computer gets infected is via the e-mail. Keeping this in mind, make sure that you verify e-mail address of the sender before opening an email. Specially be aware if you get an email with an attachment even from a sender you trust.
- Take extra caution when browsing websites. Government, real estate, legal, online Games websites are often targeted by malware.
- Update your operational system and anti-virus program on a regular basis. This will ensure that all the security patches and virus definitions are current and to keep you protected even through some of the accidental clicks.
- Choose strong passwords and change them regularly.
Don't turn off your firewall.
- Beware of using flash drives from an unknown source.
- Take caution when you are installing any new software. If it is from unknown source, don't install it. Google the software to find out if it is a legitimate program.